Hair fall is the most common problem through which almost every people suffer. Alopecia is the medical term used for hair fall but more commonly ease relevant to scalp hair loss. If left untreated or not genetically, it can lead to complete baldness.
The majority of hair fall cases have genetic roots, but there are many other reasons too. Like, hormonal changes, poor diet, medications, poor nutrition, stress, pollution, smoking, and excessive use of chemical products.
You may lose your hair if you have a specific medical disorder such as thyroid, diabetes, or lupus.
Topics to be Covered :
- Symptoms & home remedies for hair fall
- Steps to health happy hair
- Tips for hair fall
- Frequently asked questions on hair fall
- Final words
Symptoms of Hair Fall
1. Sudden thinning of hair
2. Gradual hair loss on top of the head
3. Full-body hair loss
4. Circular bald spots
Home remedies for Hair Fall
Wandering about how to tackle hair fall?
Here is the answer, if you notice an alarming degree of hair fall, then make sure you visit a dermatologist so that if the hair fall is normal or needs to be treated.
If it does not need to be treated medically, try following home remedies to stop the hair fall.
Massage hair with suitable oil. Massaging in circular motion and pressure helps in improving blood flow to the scalp and stimulates growth. It not only strengthens your existing hair, but it is also proven to treat hair thinning, especially if it is due to nutritional deficiencies. It helps in inducing relaxation and also reduces anxiety and stress to a large extent.
Massafe your head once in a week by using olive oil, almond oil or coconut oil . If nutrational factors is the the main cause, then supplements like biotin, collagen, vitamin C, zinc, and others can revert back hair within 2 months.
2. Aloe vera and Neem
A combination of aloe vera juice along with neem leaves is useful for controlling hair fall. Studies also say, aloe vera stimulates blood circulation and improves the delivery of oxygen and nutrition.
All you need is to extract the juice of aloe vera and dry neem leaves to make powder. Add these two and a few drops of oil. Have this on the scalp for one hour and do once in a week.
3. Egg white, Curd and Shikakai powder
Eggs are rich in phosphorous, sulfur, protein, zinc, iodine, and selenium, promoting hair growth.
Take egg white of two eggs in a bowl and add two tablespoons of curd to it. Also, add half a tablespoon of Shikakai powder and mix this well. Leave for 30 minutes, then rinse with a mild shampoo.
4. Aloe vera
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties and reduces scalp inflammation, especially in seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff. It also reduces itchiness and scaling to a considerable extent.
Cut a healthy leaf from the aloe vera plant. Peel one side of this, scrape out the gel using a spoon. Apply this gel directly to your scalp and massage in circular motions. Leave it on for an hour or two, then wash with a mild shampoo. Use these two or three times a week for at least 6 months consistently to see any result.
As per the research done in 2007, applying garlic paste and betamethasone valerate cream on bald areas produced more hair regrowth than using a placebo treatment with steroid cream betamethasone is full of vitamins and minerals that help in reducing hair fall.
Apply the paste of blended garlic cloves once in a week for several months to see the result.
Onion juice has been shown to successfully treat patchy hair loss, also known as alopecia areata, by promoting hair grown in bald areas or patches. Its sulfur content helps in blood circulation to the hair follicles.
Extract onion juice by grinding and squeezing onion, applying it on the scalp for 30 minutes, then washing off. Do this once a week to reduce hair fall.
7. Licorice root
Licorice root opens skin pores and strengthens weakened hair follicles by its antiandrogen, anti-inflammatory, antioxidative, angiogenic, and hair stimulating features. It can also be found to be helpful in hair loss due to telogen effluvium.
To make the paste, take one tablespoon of licorice root and one cup of milk. Add a quarter teaspoon saffron to it. Mix it well and apply it on the scalp. Leave overnight and wash it the next morning with water or mild shampoo.
8. Coconut oil
Coconut oil contains seven different fatty acids, like caproic, caprine, caprylic, lauric acid, etc. It is an only good conditioner and improves your hair’s luster, especially if you have dry hairs. It also protects your hair by coating and prevents damages to your hair shaft. Some recommend mixing lemon juice with coconut oil and apply on hair.
9. Fenugreek seeds
Fenugreek seeds are rich in protein and nicotine acid, which prevents hair breakage and strengthens the shaft. It also helps to promote hair regrowth.
Soak fenugreek seeds overnight in water and blend it in a blender to make the paste. Apply this paste on the scalp and leave for half an hour, then rinse it. Do this procedure every day for one month to see the best result.
Taking ginseng supplements can promote hair growth by stimulating hair follicles and blocking the hormone DHT – Di Hydroxy Testosterone, which triggers hair loss. Ginseng is a specific short plant with plumpy roots, and for hair stimulation, the Asian variety is considered the best because it contains these active ingredients.
Remember, ginger and ginseng are not the same. They may sound the same, but they are different.
Steps to health happy Hair
1. Increase your intake of protein. Hair is a protein. Add soya and dal to your diet to help hair grows.
2. Include flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds to your diet. Flaxseeds are high in Omega-3 that helps to reduce hair breakage. Pumpkin seeds contain beta-sitosterol.
3. Keep yourself well, hydrated. Dehydration halts hair growth. Drink at least 8 to 10 glass of water daily. Avoid or reduce your intake of tea, coffee, or alcohol.
Tips to Stop Hair Fall
1. Using straightener, blow dryer, and heating irons regularly, and many hair care products could be damaging your hair. So make sure to avoid it when you have a hair fall problem.
2. A lot of curling, straitening, or any treatment might damage the shaft and make it more brittle, so you will have many breakages that, along with hair fall, might make feel that it is aggravative hair fall. So avoid these to stop hair fall.
3. Be gentle with your hair. Do not wear any hairstyle with pull or tug hair, low tight ponytail, or high ponytail. Avoid that and go for a loose hairstyle. Also, avoid vigorous brushing of hair and be gentle when hair is wet.
4. Shampoo hair 2 to 3 times a week if you are working our or if you have to go to a dusty environment or have a lot of sweating. Make sure your scalp remains clean. Remember, avoiding shampoo is neither going to stop hair fall nor increase hair fall.
5. Avoid taking a shower with hot water because it also causes hair to fall. Instead, opt for cold water or lukewarm water, especially while washing hair.
6. Take care of your diet and eat healthy foods rich in protein such as eggs, fish, spinach, yogurt, carrots, walnuts, oats, and lentils.
7. Manage your stress well to keep the hair fall under control. Practice meditation, yoga, and deep breathing exercises to relax.
8. Increase your vitamin D intake. So make sure to get enough of the early morning sun. Natural vitamin D supplements also help.
Frequently Asked Questions on Hair Fall
1. Can we stop hair fall permanently?
Hair fall can be stopped permanently only by hair transplant.
Minoxidil (Rogaine) and finasteride (Propecia)are the only two drugs confirmed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to cure hair loss.
2. What season does hair fall most?
Hair falls most first in July and August and secondly in November, December, and half of January. Hairs are thickest in the summer and act as protection from the sun. However, falling hair in these months is a temporary situation; hair grows back in about three months.
3. Which shampoo is best for hair fall?
Some of the best shampoo for hair fall is following:
A. Dove’s hair falls rescue shampoo.
B. Indulekha Bringha Anti-Hairfall Shampoo.
C. Biotique Bio Walnut Bark Volumizing Shampoo For Fine & Thinning Hair.
D. Tresemme Hair Fall Defense Shampoo.
E. Mamaearth Onion Hair Fall Control Shampoo For Hair With onion & Plant Keratin.
4. Does cutting hair reduce hair fall?
No. Cutting hairs does not reduce hair fall, but trimmed hairs are less likely to become damaged and develop brittle split ends. Regular trimming gives a better look to hair.
5. How much hair fall is normal in a day for men?
According to the American Academy of Dermatologists, losing 50 to 100 strands of hair daily is normal. If losing hair more than that is not normal. See a dermatologist then.
6. Which oil is best for the hair fall?
Some of the best oil for hair fall are coconut oil, lavender oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil, and lemongrass sesame oil, rosemary oil, castor oil, and tea tree oil.
7. How many new hairs grow in a day?
Hairs do not grow in numbers, it grows in inches, which is about half inches per months. It leads to 6 inches in a year on an average. Female hair grows slower than male hair.
8. Can we leave the oil on hair for 3 days?
You can leave the oil for any days, but it won’t be helpful. Instead, hair would collect a lot of grim and dust, which will affect your scalp and hair. So, it is better to wash off the hair within 2 days of applying oil on hair.
9. What are some supplements which are best for hair growth?
There are two supplements which are best for hair growth are:
Viviscal is an oral hair growth supplement containing vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that combat hair thinning. AminoMar Marine Complex is the crucial ingredient in viviscal, which contains shark cartilage and oyster extract powder. Use this for stage 2 and 3 and to treat hair thinning in combination with minoxidil.
Biotin, zinc, copper, and collagen supplements or foods rich in these sources are also very useful for hair growth if used in conjunction with other minoxidil treatments.
10. What to do if the cause of hair fall is not known?
If the apparent cause is unknown, go for an investigation like iron studies, thyroid function test, antibody – anti-nuclear test, and lupus test.
11. How can I stop excess hair fall?
To stop excess hair fall, apply onion juice, garlic juice, or ginger juice on the scalp. Massage hair with essential oil or rub green tea into the hair. Intake foods rich in protein and vitamin. Don’t forget to wash your hair 2 to 3 times a week.
12. How can I get thick hair in a month?
To get thick hair in a month, then egg yolk would be the best option. Egg yolk is rich in vitamins D and A as well as proteins like biotin and foliate. Apply egg yolk on hair to make roots and scalp healthy and thick.
13. What are some best anti hair fall oils?
Some best anti hair fall oils are given below :
A. Induinlekha bringha hair oil
B. Wow onion black seed hair oil
C. Himalaya anti-hair fall oil
D. ISatthwa hair oil
E. Therapie hair oil
F. Parachute advanced scalp therapies hair oil
H. Biotique bio bhringraj hair oil Trichup hair fall control oil
14. How do I know if I am losing too much hair?
In the morning, if you see a lot of hairs on your pillow, when you shower or when you brush your hair, or you do not style your hair the same way as you used to be, or your ponytail seems thin, then you are losing too much hair.
Hopefully, this article will give you perfect guidance to stop the hair fall and treat it naturally at home using different remedies. Keep in mind the tips given in this article and take care of your hair with consistency.
Hair fall is of two types, one is natural and temporary, which will regrow on its own, and another one is permanent which does not regrow on its own; it needs to be treated with medications and hair restoration, this one is quite serious which can lead to baldness.
So, if your hair fall does not stop using home remedies, then consult a dermatologist to know the cause and cure.
Take care of yourself to take care of your hair. Have a healthy diet. Include protein, vitamin, and mineral-rich foods, fruits, sprouts, and salad in your diet. Stay positive, and don’t take any kind of stress. Meditate every day and massage your hair too.