Isn’t it annoying when you stop some gray hair here and there at an early age? Spotting the first strand of gray hair can be an absolute nightmare for some of us, but you would be surprised to know that hair graying in your 20s is as common as frizz and dandruff.
So far, we have heard about the negative talks on premature graying that led to the birth of some of the weirdest myths. So you are going to debunk some of the monsters now.
Myth No. 1
Easily the most asked question is if gray hair can become black again, but unless you turn to chemical dyes, that is not an option. Gray hair is not reversible, but you can prevent further graying or whitening of hair instead.
You should consult your dermatologist who will give you the right steps to stop more gray hair in their path by using cosmetics treatments or allopathy.
Myth No. 2
Another myth that we should bid goodbye to because there is absolutely no scientific research that says the sun can increase gray or white hair.
Constant exposure to the direct sun causes drying, which could lead to your hair becoming more susceptible to heat or damage from hot tools, but that’s about it.
Myth No. 3
Plucking out gray or white hair will never make more growth because we only have a limited number of follicles on our head, but what it will do instead is damage to your scalp and hair growth, so stop!
If you pluck one or two, it will come in a silly myth!
Causes of Gray Hair
Given the following are some common causes of gray hair, let’s start with the basics!
Race, ethnicity, and genetics play a vital role in determining how later or early, someone will start getting gray or white hair. If someone’s parents faced greying in their 30’s, then he/she is going to have to bear the brunt of it too.
This list would be incomplete without adding to this monster that has a part to play in almost all of our daily concerns regarding health and well-being. Research has found that the cells responsible for our hair color can deplete when there is an increase in stress, causing graying over a long period.
When lacking in the body, Vitamin-D, B-6, B-12, or E can lead to graying. Especially when people lack these nutrients in their body, it affects the pigmentation of hair and becomes lighter, but it can be prevented and stopped if they start taking the right supplements.
Studies show that smokers are 2 and ½ times more likely to start graying in their 30’s because of this addictive habit. So try getting rid of it if you do smoking.
5. Other medical conditions
Concerns such as autoimmune disease, thyroid dysfunction, or anemia can lead to gray or white hair at early an early stage. If someone has immense hair fall or a sudden increase in white hair, then they should get themselves checked for alopecia, a skin condition that causes these changes but can be curbed with medications.
Combat grey hair with home remedies
Here are a few natural ingredients that will help combat gray or white hair, which are strong contenders fighting this hair concern.
Amla is also called nectar for hair, which helps to pacify pitta dosha (or excess body heat), which is one major cause of prematurely grey.
Amla is one of the best cleansers for your scalp and a staple in natural hair care routines. It strengthens hair follicles so your hair can grow longer and healthier while preventing premature graying. It also contains a natural dye to cover up greys without doing any harm to your beautiful locks.
2. Shikakai powder
Shikakai powder has been used in Ayurveda for ages for healthy hair.
It is a natural cleanser that is commonly used to remedy not only graying hair but also hair loss, dandruff, and dull hair. It nourishes the hair follicles that lead to the fast growth of new hair that is young and black, soothes the scalp, and gives the hair a beautiful and natural shine.
An onion a day may help keep gray hair away. Onions are rich in antioxidants, which restores the hair’s natural color.
Besides, the Phytonutrients in onion, vitamin C, folic acid, and copper also help delay hair graying.
A unique offering of this vegetable is that it has an enzyme called Catalase that helps darken the hair and effectively controls graying or white hair. It also promotes new hair growth and adds a bounce and stunning shine to your hair.
4. Curry leaves
Curry leaves contain potent antioxidants, including vitamins A, C, and E. Also, minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, and iron. Curry leaves together wibecomesonut oil works as an excellent hair tonic.
5. Black sesame seeds
Black sesame seeds promote melanocyte activity to produce melanin-the pigment responsible for hair color. To naturally cure your gray hair, eat a tablespoon of black sesame seeds 2 to 3 times a day.
6. Bhringraj and Amla
According to Ayurveda, Bhringraj is a medicinal herb that restores the dead cells and reduces greying, adds shine, and promotes hair while amla is known to balance the pitta levels hence preventing premature greying.
Take two tablespoons of Bhringraj powder in a bowl and add four tablespoons of amla oil to make a thick paste. Apply this paste on your scalp and leave it on for about 30 minutes before you wash it off with a mild shampoo. Use this hair mask twice a week for best results.
Henna gives the hair a warm reddish-brown color. Prepare a henna mask by mixing black tea/coffee with henna powder and 1-2 tablespoon olive oil. Apply it to your hair. Leave it on for one to three hours and then rinse it off.
8. Almond oil with lemon juice
Almond oil has vitamin E, which is extremely beneficial for hair. It nourishes the roots and prevents premature graying, while lemon juice adds gloss and volume to hair and promotes healthy hair growth. Use almond oil and lemon juice mixture before shampoo for better results.
Tips for grey hair
- Quit smoking, as regular smoking can cause premature graying.
- Eat your greens and ditch the junk.
- Direct sunlight can damage your hair and result in premature graying, so always protect your hair with a scarf or a hat.
- Consume nuts like cashews, walnuts, and almonds regularly.
- Greying can also be hereditary. So if you want to opt for a hair dye, go for an organic one because these dyes will not damage your hair.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1.Will gray hair take color?
According to styling experts and hair biology experts, gray hair is more proof against color than younger hair due to its texture. The lack of natural oils within the hairs compared to young hair makes it a rough surface, which rejects applying color, especially around the roots.
2. What is color blending for gray hair?
A low-nuisance color technique can be combined with camouflage gray to add other colors like your natural shade. The blending incorporates gray to make some pieces lighter than the rest of the natural, subtle highlights.
3. How can I make my gray hair look okay?
To make your gray hair look good, use the right shampoo for your hair, stay sharp, get modern cut, protect your assets from UV lights and environmental pollutants, and lighten up.
4. How do you cover gray roots between salon visits?
Following are some ways to cover gray roots between salon visits :
- Cover Your Gray Touch-Up Stick
- L’Oreal Paris Magic Root
- Cover Up GrayConcealer Spray
- Batiste Dry Shampoo
- Jonathan Root Touch-Up
- Mineral Fusion Gray Root Concealer
- ORIBE Airbrush Root Touch Up Spray
- CoverAge Premium Root Touch Up
5.Is there a shampoo that covers gray hair?
Here are given some shampoos that cover gray hair:
1. Joico Color Endure Violet Shampoo
2. Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo
3. Redken Color Extend Graydiant Shampoo
4. Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo
5. Klorane Anti-Yellowing Shampoo with Centaury
6. Sachajuan Silver Shampoo
7. Philip Kingsley Pure Silver Shampoo
8. Matrix Total Results So Silver Shampoo
9. L’anza Healing ColorCare Silver Brightening Shampoo
10. Amika Bust Your Brass Cool Blonde Shampoo
6. What is the best professional hair color for gray hair?
Some best professional hair color for grey hair are given below :
- The Henna Guys 100% Pure and Natural Henna Powder for Hair Dye – Effective Hair Dye That Covers Gray Hair
- Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color, Dark Soft Brown – an Expert in Dyeing Resistant Gray Hair.
- John Frieda Precision Foam Color, Medium Natural Blonde 8N – the Best Type of Hair Dye to Cover Gray at Home
- L’Oreal Paris Couleur Experte Color + Highlights in a Flash, Medium Blonde – Incredible Hair Dye Loreal for Gray Coverage
- Schwarzkopf Keratin Color Anti-Age Hair Color Cream, 6.0 Delicate Praline – Best Box Hair Dye for Gray Coverage
- Schwarzkopf Ultime Hair Color Cream, Cinnamon Brown – gray hair coverage dye No 1
- Natural Best Hair Dye for Gray Hair Jet Black Henna Hair Color/Dye 200 Grams
- Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Hair Color Crème, 30 Darkest Brown Takes Care of your dyed Gray Hair.
- L’Oréal Paris is an excellent Créme Permanent Hair Color, 6 Light Brown – top Cover Gray Hair Dye.
- Herbatint Permanent Herbal Hair Color Gel, 2N Brown – Best Dye for Gray Hair Coverage
We hope this article answered some of your most asked questions regarding greying as we tried to cover everything from myths, causes, remedies, and tips related to graying in this article.