Curcumin, a bioactive chemical found in the golden spice turmeric, is highly beneficial. Either in organic form or as a capsule, curcumin is loaded with various benefits.
It is the main component of turmeric and highly responsible for most of its benefits. Today, let us discuss everything regarding curcumin.
Topics to be discovered:
- Health Benefits
- Fighting-off Diseases
- Skin Benefits
- Hair Benefits
- Adding in life
Health Benefits of Curcumin
Curcumin acquires various excellent properties that keep us healthy and ensures a healthy and active life. Here are the most evident benefits of curcumin:
- Curcumin has an anti-inflammatory property that helps with inflammation. It effectively repairs damaged cells and reduces pain.
- Curcumin is a powerful and essential antioxidant. Its antioxidant property counter attack free radicals treat from various infections and flu. Also, it helps enhance antioxidant enzymes present in the body already; this improves the defence system of the body.
- Researchers state that endothelium dysfunction has been the primary root cause of various heart problems for a few decades. Curcumin is observed to help enhance endothelium function. This improves the regulation of blood pressure, normal blood clotting, and other factors that keep a heart-healthy.
- Curcumin helps with memory sharpness. The job is done by improving levels of BDNF whose imbalance is the reason behind most of the brain dysfunction. It also helps with various age-related brain problems.
- Similarly, curcumin is effective in reducing anxiety. It becomes highly effective as an anti-depressant and treats depression. Also, it prevents depression and anxiety in the first place by increasing levels of dopamine and serotonin.
With all these excellent properties and benefits, it does not stop here. Many diseases and chronic conditions are prevented as well as cured.
Curcumin is broadly used as a medication in the treatment of some severe diseases. Even doctors advise patients to add curcumin in their life.
The anti-inflammatory property of curcumin helps arthritis. It is found to be much more useful than an anti-inflammatory drug according to a study conducted by renowned researchers. Similarly, it aids many inflammatory diseases like pancreatitis, rheumatoid arthritis, and other bowel diseases.
It is hard to believe that curcumin is included in the medication of some specific type of cancers. It is because curcumin slows down the development of cancerous cells and tumor cells. Also, it prevents cancer in the digestive system significantly. Cancers like pancreatic, colorectal, prostate, and breast cancer might even get cured with the use of curcumin. It also becomes the reason for the death of cancerous and tumor cells.
Curcumin is found to be highly advisable by doctors to diabetic patients as it increases insulin resistance in the body and regulates blood sugar levels to beat diabetes. It is observed to cure both types of diabetes and prevent it as well.
Age-related brain problems like Alzheimer’s are also known to be treated and cured with the addition of curcumin. Increasing levels of BDNF and the formation of new neurons help prevent and fight-off various brain dysfunctions. Curcumin helps here in slowing down any brain disease and ensures smooth functioning of the brain.
Regulating BP, heartbeat rate, etc. prevents heart stroke and heart attack. Similarly, it is believed that people having a fair amount of curcumin reduce the risk of heart diseases and keeps it healthier.
Skin Benefits of Curcumin
All of us are aware of the Haldi Rasam in Indian weddings. Our ancestors must have this rasam because they were aware of its excellent skin benefits. Though mainly curcumin is less effective than the whole turmeric but has some of them.
- Being a natural antioxidant, curcumin protects the skin from UV rays and fights-off its reaction on skin effectively.
- Having anti-bacterial property, it exfoliates the skin and clears off all skin. Acne, pimples, etc. are removed from the skin easily.
- Its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties help the wound heal faster. Be it scars, cut, or any injury, curcumin repairs damages skin cells and form a new skin layer faster.
- Its antiaging properties eliminate premature ageing signs like wrinkles, fine lines, saggy skin, etc. It encounters free radical damage and safeguards your skin.
Hair Benefits of Curcumin
The antioxidant and antibacterial property of curcumin cleanses up the scalp. Dandruff all over shoulder and visible flakes, all these are cleared off from the scalp along with pollutants and dust particles.
The cause of hair loss is mainly dandruff and pollution, and both of them are encountered by curcumin. This reduces hair loss. Bacterial infections are encountered as well by curcumin.
Side-effects of Curcumin
Though curcumin is not observed to have any adverse effects, when the limit is crossed, it has some side-effects. Below are a couple of side-effects of curcumin experienced by a few people:
- Excess of curcumin might lead to an upset stomach. And may trigger bloating, flatulence, gas, and in worst cases, even diarrhea.
- Excess of curcumin might also lead to headaches and feelings of vomiting or nausea.
Adding curcumin to life
Curcumin is a bioactive compound found in turmeric, so the best and natural way of consuming curcumin is to add turmeric to your daily diet.
Though turmeric has 3% curcumin by weight and can not fulfil the body’s need if a person needs to cure a particular disease.
For that purpose, there are various curcumin supplements and tablets that have the desired amount. It is advisable to consult a doctor regarding the amount of curcumin supplement to be consumed for a specific problem or disease.
The excellent and unique properties acquired by curcumin are required for your body, and it is needed to be aware of. Add it in whatever best possible way that suits your body needs and remember not to exceed. I hope you have found enough information about curcumin and realized how important it is for a healthy and active life.